Locations of visitors to this page

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Robonaut 2 & STS-133

STS -133 mission is going to be one of the milestone in human history because of various reasons out of which two are very important from my point of view.

1. It will be the 39th and final flight of space shuttle Discovery.

2. Robonaut 2 or R2.

R2 will be the first humanoid robot in space. Engineers will test and monitor how dexterous robots behave in space and how such devices can help astronauts in the future. In future it will work on the International Space Station and venture outside the station to help spacewalkers. R2 is jointly developed at the Johnson Space Center in Houston by General Motors and NASA.

According to NASA, It can lift 20 pounds with each arm, which is about four times that of other humanoid robots. This is really good stuff…

Anyways.. I am glad with this step.. but at the same time I am a little worried… lots of bad thoughts coming into my mind…

Is this really good to send a Robot in space….? Can I say… we are are going to plant first seed of fictional Human war with intellegent robots…. ? Amagingly R2's face is similer to Boba Fett who was the main villain in Star Wars. Whatever it is, I wish I am wrong… but at the same time I can’t ignore a single possibility out of all impossibilities…!!

References:http://www.nasa.gov(Details and Image taken from NASA website)

No comments: